a savoury, spicy cheese topped omelet with beans and grated carrot, which we served with a side of sweet & savoury tomatoes & roast parsnips. guilt-free and satisfying. A last minute dinner
that was hot, tasty, healthy and just worked, hurrah!
rating – 5*
Ingredients- serves 2
1/4 small onion
1/2 cup finely grated carrot (or carrot pulp after juicing)
1/2 cup boiled or canned kidney beans or other beans of choice, drained
250ml egg whites (or 4 large whole eggs)
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
pinch garlic powder
generous pinch salt
generous serving of half-fat grated mature cheddar to top (optional)
1. Turn on the grill to preheat. Fry the onion in a little olive oil in a large frying pan until soft.
2. Add the carrot and fry until quite dry and starting to brown, reducing the juices in the carrot. Add the beans and half mash them in the pan.
3. Add the spices, salt and soy sauce and mix well. Fry them with the carrot for a minute or two. The mixture should be quite savoury tasting and salty – this will lessen once you add the eggs
4. add the egg whites, or if using whole eggs crack them into a bowl, beat them and add pour into the frying pan. Cook until the bottom is set and the top is wobbly, but no longer completely runny
5. Finish off cooking the top under the grill
6. Top with cheese and serve immediately