This salad is a healthy, delicious and superfast light meal which I whip up whenever we’re feeling like we need to detox. The cool, refreshing mix of crisp leaves, creamy lemony dressing and the warm salmon flakes make this a great recipe for the summer months, perfect with a glass of homemade lemonade 🙂
Because this dish is so simple, it relies on the freshness and quality of the ingredients. Don’t be tempted to use tinned salmon, or any fresh or frozen variety which has a large layer of that bitter, metallic tasting brown meat anywhere in it – cut that off or remove it after poaching if you need to.
Ingredients – serves 2
2 good quality large salmon fillets, fresh or frozen
2 small avocados
1 apple (we used pink lady, use your favourite type)
2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
4 tbsp creme fraiche
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Poach or steam the salmon. You can do this in the microwave if you know how (make sure you don’t do it too long or you’ll end up with a salmon biscuit), or place in a steamer above a boiling pan of water for 4-5 minutes (depending on how thick your fish is). If poaching, bring half a pan of salted water (add onion /herbs if you wish) to a gentle boil, slip in the fish, boil for about a minute then cover and remove from the heat, leaving it for 10 minutes without uncovering. Whichever method you choose, at the end break the fish apart in the centre (or thickest point) to make sure it’s done.
2. Remove fish to a cool plate and let sit until you are able to handle it. In the mean time, prepare the other ingredients.
3. Split and de-stone the avocado. Arrange on plates as shown with the spinach. Cut the apple and half the lemon into wedges and add them.
4. Flake the salmon gently with your fingers and arrange it in the centre of the dishes.
5. Mix the creme fraiche, the juice and zest of the remaining half lemon and a little salt & pepper to taste (remember the fish is bland so it needs a little more than you think). Pour over the fish.
6. Serve immediately. Enjoy!