This was our lunch for today. Another superfast dish (literally 5 minutes), low in fat, low in carbs, high in protein, bursting full of iron and vitamins from all those leafy greens… Great with flat bread, or just on its own. You can truly eat as much as you like of this meal without feeling any guilt at all… In fact, you should feel very proud of yourself for how good you’ve been 🙂
Here it is coming out of the grill… Yum 🙂
Ingredients – serves 2
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 small leek (or 2 spring onions /scallions) , sliced finely
150g fresh baby spinach
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, or herbs of choice
200ml pourable egg whites, or 4 whole eggs, beaten
Grated extra mature cheddar or other Paleo-friendly hard cheese such as parmesan
Sea salt to taste
1. Preheat the grill /broiler to high. In a large saucepan, heat the oil on high heat (on the hob, not under the grill!)
2. Fry the leeks/ onions for a few minutes until soft, like so
3. Add the spinach. It will seem like a lot but trust me.
4. Fry the spinach, using the spatula to ensure every leaf sees the heat. The spinach will wilt down significantly, until you get something that looks like this:
5. Add the chopped herbs and toss for one more minute, then pour the egg over the top
The bottom will set immediately (your heat should still be on high), leaving the top wobbly. Turn off the hob.
6. Grate the cheese over the omelet, then transfer to the grill to finish cooking. Watch it closely, and remove from the grill as soon as the cheese has melted and the egg is set.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!